Rights and Responsibilities
C. Rights and Responsibilities
48. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them: Citizens 18 and older can vote, You don't have to pay a poll tax to vote, Any citizen can vote (women and men can vote), A male citizen of any race can vote.
49. What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens? serve on a jury, vote in a federal election
50. Name one right only for United States citizens. vote in federal election, run for federal office.
There are two special rights only for U.S. citizens: voting in federal elections and running for federal office. Many naturalized citizens have been elected as U.S. Senators and U.S. Representatives. In order to run for the Senate, a candidate must have been a U.S. citizen for at least 9 years.
51. What are two rights of everyone living in the United States? freedom of expression, speech, assembly, petition the government, religion/ the right to bear arms.
52. What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance? the United States, the flag.
53. What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen? give up loyalty to other countries, defend the Constitution and laws of the United States, obey the laws of the United States, serve in the U.S military(if needed), serve(do important work for)the nation(if needed), be loyal to the United States
54. How old do citizens have to be to vote for President? 18
55. What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy? vote, join a political party, help with a campaign, join a civic group, give an elected official your opinion on an issue, call Senators and Representatives, publicly support or oppose an issue or policy, run for office, write to a newspaper
56. When is the last day you can send in federal income tax forms? April 15
57. When must all men register for the Selective Service? at age 18, between 18 and 26.
According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service accepts late registrations up until a man reaches his 26thbirthday.
Myungja Anna Koh